Friday, September 20, 2013

Used or New Tack?

We all have to admit, we love to shop at tack shops and at Dover Saddlery. But the price sometimes can injure our wallets, no offense to Dover and the tack shops. But sometimes it is good to buy things used.

I bought my show jacket used from a friend at the barn I used to ride at in Rhode Island. I used for IEA and 4-H shows. I had for at least 3 years in use then when I moved to Virginia, I sold it to a younger friend of mine who also showed 4-H. As long as something is in good condition, it's good to pass things down to others at a good but reasonable price. Many people buy their tack and equipment used because they can't afford to pay the price of it new. It's a way for them to save and cut corners. You should sell you tack when you can no longer use it to see if someone who could use it can buy it for a reasonable price.

Sometimes it is good to buy things new. Like tall boots and such. I just bought my Ariats and I am still breaking them in. I buy all my riding footwear new. I bought my Mountain Horse winter riding boots new but for a cheaper price at Equine Affaire. Other than new or used, it's good to find a good price for something by looking at different shops and online. It's good to compare prices. 

I know for a fact that I will buy most of my tack and such used because I can't really pay $300 for a heavy weight blanket for my future horse. It would seriously injure my wallet for a fact. 

How do you guys save money with your horses?

No comments:

Post a Comment

DIY Queen and the Weekly Reads

Lately, I've been a bit more selfish about things that I like to do. For example, reading and DIY. DIY is things are so fun to do. I h...