Monday, June 26, 2017

Maintaining My Elderly Dog's Shape

Whenever I am at the park in the mornings and meet another pet parent, they always say "Wow, she is in great shape for her age!" I always thank them for the compliment and reciprocate the notion to their pet's age. But now it has you wondering on what keeps her in great shape?

She's very active. She goes to the park for about 45 minutes to an hour (depending on my stubbornness to get out of bed), multiple walks a day for 15 minutes (when I come home from work), and she goes camping with my boyfriend and me during the summer (we took her with us to Winchester and Baker last year).

She eats right. I've stopped giving her a lot of people food, but she does get the occasional bit of bread or chicken. She eats a grain free dog food, has joint supplements in the food along with joint supplement chews for when I leave for work, and all of her treats are grain free. PLUS I always make sure she has plenty of fresh water in her water bowl. Hydration is the key to life.

I try to take her everywhere with me. Is that a credible reason as to keeping her great shape? To me yes, to you, maybe not. But yes, I try to take her everywhere with me. I take her to friend's houses, my boyfriend's house, back with me to his parent's house, out to drinks at Schweinhaus, and many other places I cannot list. 

I also make sure she is up to date on her vet visits and check-ups. Maybe I should have her teeth done soon... I'll have to talk to Banfield about costs. But yes, she gets her monthly Trifexis (Flea, tick and heartworm medicine), and always has her Proin pill (for leaky bladders).  

What are some ways you keep your elderly pets in great shape?

No comments:

Post a Comment

DIY Queen and the Weekly Reads

Lately, I've been a bit more selfish about things that I like to do. For example, reading and DIY. DIY is things are so fun to do. I h...