Sunday, January 19, 2014

Day 2 of Ryan Minor Clinic

Yesterday, we worked mainly on equitation whereas today we worked on a jumping course.

This is the course
We started the day off with a good long warm up walk at a brisk pace. After our horses were warmed up, we moved into a posting trot with a soft hand but enough to still maintain contact with the horse. After we trotted around a few times, we started to do a sitting trot on the short sides where we would drop our stirrups and then once we hit the long side we had to pick them up while still trotting and proceed into a posting trot. 

We starting jumping only one cross rail, the red one in the photo. Then we proceed by going around the jump at the end and coming down the diagonal line starting with the green jump and proceeding to the white/brown jump. Then after that set, we added the yellow vertical and the red cross rail. Hercules did good in the beginning of jumping but once we made a new course, he went crazy!


I don't know if you can see in the photo, but on the far right on the arena there is a set of two white jumps. We started with those two then proceeded to the green and the brown/white set where we then came around to the right and went over the yellow vertical and then the red cross rail which was turned into a oxer. He did refuse a few times but we got over it. We have to have a good amount of speed in the beginning and then slow him down after the yellow vertical. 


I do enjoy these clinics because I get advice that I use in my future lessons with Kitchie. Ryan told me that I need to use strong speed in the beginning and then indicate to Hercules that I want to slow down. Also, Ryan said I should switch up my mounts every lesson. So this week I ride Nappy, then Baby, then Hercules again. I need to ride a horse that gives me a lot of work to use my hands. With Hercules, I tend to not use my hands since I have become used to riding him. I need a challenge or three.

I would like to have a lesson or two with Ryan at the barn he works at. Maybe a possible birthday present. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

DIY Queen and the Weekly Reads

Lately, I've been a bit more selfish about things that I like to do. For example, reading and DIY. DIY is things are so fun to do. I h...