Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Today's Workforce

Many of you may be at university striving to obtain a major in which you will use to get a future job. Many of you may have a job that is related to your major. Many of you may not even have a job. Many of you are probably young like me.

What is wrong with today's workforce? Jobs today are hard to get a hold of. I've not had a paying job other than baby sitting and pet sitting. I worked at a barn once as a stable hand but I didn't get paid in money, it was a work to ride exchange, but at least I got to ride without paying. Mind you I love it, but I want a job that I can go to a few days a week, not a day every month or so. 

In the beginning, I wasn't as determined to get a job. Yes, I dropped off the odd application hoping I'd hear something, but I never checked on it in person. I've applied to two places so far; the local dog kennel/doggie daycare, the local NEX's dry cleaners and MICHAEL KORS at the local mall. I've checked on my applications at least three times for the last two. Lately, they've said they are looking through the applications and will be calling about interviews. I am determined to get a job, and that takes constant review of the application status via help from the workers at each establishment. 

One thing that gets on my nerve is that establishments hire people with experience. I don't have experience, but how am I supposed to get the experience without being given a chance. I don't understand why many establishments won't take on the young people and take the time to train them. Who knows, they could pick it up very easily and won't need an extensive amount of training. But mainly, the jobs that people apply for are given to those who have a bit of experience. 

My mom told about what it was like to get a job when she was younger. You simply fill out an application and drop it off. Then the establishment you had applied to would have given a call or sent you a letter. They would say if you got the job or not, so you would't be left hanging. Applying for a job back then was more personal. Today, we submit everything electronically and you get to talk to the manager about applying for the job. I wish getting a job these days was like that; more personal, manager to applicant. I think it would be easier on the applicant who most times is a college student or a high schooler. 

With my life, I spend a lot of my money on riding lessons and clinics and trust me, it gets pricy. Then along with that is equipment, tack, clothing, boots and etc. I'd like to buy myself a nice car, but I need money to do that. To get that money, I need a job. I'd like to one day rent a nice apartment, but I need a job in order to pay for it. I'd like to buy clothing and such from Michael Kors and Banana Republic, but I need a job to give me the money which I can spend on those things. 

This whole topic was triggered when I talked to my friend Mary about how young people aren't given the opportunity to gain experience in the workforce. Now, I am not bashing on any establishments, I'm just frustrated at how I can't get a job. I'd give anything to work in an establishment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

DIY Queen and the Weekly Reads

Lately, I've been a bit more selfish about things that I like to do. For example, reading and DIY. DIY is things are so fun to do. I h...