Sunday, July 27, 2014

VA Bucket List: Mermaid Factory

Mermaid Factory. 
First thought is obviously mermaids, but factory? Maybe a place where the make mermaids? Although, the Mermaid Factory is a wonderful place to go and paint your own mermaid!

Photo Credit
I decided to treat my dad at the Mermaid Factory since we are moving to Washington. My mum and I have heard many things about the Mermaid Factory from online and neighbors. The mermaid is the symbol of Norfolk, which is probably the only thing I am obsessed about in Norfolk.


The mermaid cost $25 each. That included the mermaid, paint and glitter. The extra bits like shells cost about 25-50 cents each. The charms cost about a $1. I think I spent about $2.25 on extra bits.


I first thought about painting my mermaid turquoise and blue, which are the colors of Western Washington, but I might go back and buy a set to take to Washington to paint when I get there. You can buy a mermaid set to take home. It includes the mermaid, pedestal, paint and any charms you wanted. I then just decided to go girly with magenta and coral pink. After I finished painting her, I brushed on Elmer's glue and sprinkled lots of magenta glitter. The process did take long, but the end results are always the best. 


My dad is the true artistic one in the family. Since he is Medical Service Corp, he styled his mermaid into a military mermaid. 


And here is the end result! My mermaid had a magenta tail with magenta glitter glued on (such a long process), sand dollar bra, starfish in her hair and a sea horse hanging from her hand. Dad's has a navy blue tail, gold belt, gold tube top, and a Medical Service Corp insignia. 

I highly recommend the Mermaid Factory as a place to go to if visiting Norfolk, Virginia.

Toodles!

No comments:

Post a Comment

DIY Queen and the Weekly Reads

Lately, I've been a bit more selfish about things that I like to do. For example, reading and DIY. DIY is things are so fun to do. I h...