Sunday, July 27, 2014

VA Bucket List: Chrysler Museum of Art


It had been forever since I had last been the Chrysler. The Chrysler had just been through a series of renovations in order to create more areas to view more art and glass, as well as make things easier to find.


I love every single mermaid I find in Norfolk, especially this one. This one had photos of events held in Norfolk like the Virginia Symphony and the Tattoo decoupaged onto the mermaid.


The Glass Studio was a new thing my mum and I didn't see last time. It was fairly new. Her, they make many different forms of glass art as well as give classes. I wish we had more time in Virginia because they had a two hour class for making your own glass anchor necklace. And you know me and anchors… OBSESSED.


Our demonstrator was just amazing. She told us so many things that my mum and I didn't know about glass before. She made a colored glass drinking glass. It was so cool because the had strips of two colors of glass in a pattern in order to make the stripes. Then they fused it together the Glory Hole (the one of the left is off, but that is what it looks like), and then slowly fuse it all together in order to be able to spin it into a glass.


This is what was at the Glass Studio, I thought they were adorable. If you can't tell, it is a lipstick and a nail polish bottle. How cute!

I particularly love ancient art and artifacts. Many the early civilizations like Rome and Egypt.


This is a mosaic of a Giraffe from Ancient Rome. Can you believe that the last person to have walked on this was a Roman? It is very impressive.


My all time love is Egyptian Art. It is just so beautiful and fascinating to look at. 



I mean, they had no power tools. Only a hammer and a chisel basically. And they could not afford to make a mistake.


Woman in a Pergola with Wisteria ca. 1915, leaded glass, Tiffany Studios - the folds of her gown were thicker than the rest of the piece to simulate the drape of the fabric. The work done here is just incredible. I would love to have a piece of Tiffany Studios stained glass in my home in the future. Just stunning.


Chess Set, 1985, Gianni Toso, flame worked, cut and assembled glass - an amazing work in glass. I thought they were insanely cute, plus the craftsmanship is just astounding. I mean, they had to work with such thin and delicate glass.



This was one of my many favorites of that day. Portrait of a Lady (Mme H.S.), 1879, Pierre-Auguste Cot, oil on canvas - La Parisienne was celebrated worldwide as the quintessence of feminine beauty, fashion, and taste. The ultimate French fashionista. I wish sometimes the world still dressed like this, the style is just pristine and perfect. I loved the dress during that time period. I have a book based on women in France on how to live and be like a Parisian woman. Topics like the signature scent, how to dress, exercise, eat, live day to day and how to take care of yourself.


Lastly, my favorite piece. This marble piece made by Peter Stephenson, circa 1848-50 is a breath taking sculpture. The Chrysler says, "it directly reflects the increasing acceptance of the Indian as Noble Savage - a natural man uncorrupted by the influences of civilization." I couldn't agree more. 

I hope this post stirs a desire to view these incredible pieces of art. 

Toodles!

No comments:

Post a Comment

DIY Queen and the Weekly Reads

Lately, I've been a bit more selfish about things that I like to do. For example, reading and DIY. DIY is things are so fun to do. I h...