Sunday, October 12, 2014

University Tip: How to Keep that Sick-Free Streak

Tip #3: How to Keep that Sick-Free Streak
 
Is there anyone out there that usually gets sick once every school year? Well, you're not alone because I am right with you. So far, I've gotten sick every year of high school except for senior year. With this being my Freshman (technically my second year) of college, I am starting to feel a bit under the weather. 
 
Here are some of my tips on how to beat that nasty cold once the sore throat hits you.
 
Drink Lots of Liquids
Liquids are a huge must to keeping the sore throat well lubricated. These liquids would be a juice like orange juice, water and Sprite. Those are the three that I mainly drink when I'm sick. A friend of mine recommended tea but I am not a tea drinker. Orange juice is a good source of Vitamin C which helps your body fight when your sick. I have been drinking so much Orange Juice that I will probably turn into an orange.
 
Stay Warm
If it's cold out and you can sense a cold coming, wear warm clothes, warm shoes like UGGS or slippers and have a blanket on your lap or wrapped around your shoulders. I've been wearing a long sleeved shirt and sweater with jeans and UGG boots all day as well as having a blanket on me. I can't wait till my mom brings me my flannel sheets later this month. Another way I like to stay warm is by having either a heating pad or my dog on my lap, but sadly I have neither due to living in the dorm. The best thing to do is layer up on clothes.
 
Eat a Good Meal and Healthy Snacks
I've been eating so much fruit today, but that's a good thing. I bought some Honey Crisp apples from Fred Meyer and they are the best! I also loaded my plate during dinner at the dining hall with a lot of protein and veggies. I had some delicious pork, rice with black beans, and steamed broccoli. I am going to have soup tomorrow for lunch if I don't make it to the dining hall on time. I LOVE soup, especially tomato soup.
 
Take the Necessary Cold Medicine
I have been taking a couple doses of Dayquil during the day and then Nyquil at night. Thank goodness I went to get some medicine from Fred Meyer. I also had some cough drops that my neighbor gave me this morning, she was an angel! I am going to be taking some Nyquil before I go to bed.

So since it is 10:30 at night, my throat does feel a bit better; not as scratchy as it was this morning when I woke up. Use these tips and you'll feel better by the end of the day or the next morning!

Good Luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

DIY Queen and the Weekly Reads

Lately, I've been a bit more selfish about things that I like to do. For example, reading and DIY. DIY is things are so fun to do. I h...