Thursday, February 8, 2018

Living in Bellingham, WA: A Dog Mom's Struggles

We all know that there are those college towns that are difficult when it comes to finding a place to live that fits all of our needs.

I was lucky that at the end of my year of living in the dorms, I had found an apartment to live in close to campus that allowed my dog. My current apartment is a nice beginner apartment, had all the basics in the apartment but laundry. But laundry was no issues, just a few dollars a month to do what was in my hamper.
Now that I have lived here for about three years, it's time to move on to a better place (one that has landry in the unit). As I am looking at studios, it baffles me that so many landlords do not allow dogs, yet they allow cats. Don't get me wrong, I am not hating on cats but they tend to urinate on everything and scratch up the carpets. Basically dogs and cats are equal when it comes to apartment damages. But that is when landlords can charge pet rent, pet deposits, and other things in order to allow dogs in their apartments.

I think this has come to be because we live in a college town where landlords think college students are kids who party all night, damage properties, and aren't responsible when that is clearly not the case at all. I have met so many college students who are hard working and responsible and also are pet parents. Yes, they do go party sometimes, but they are more responsible with their alcohol intake because they know they have a dog waiting for them at home.

In all honesty, Seattle is way more pet-friendly than Bellingham, but it balances out with Seattle's living expenses (higher rents). It's such a debacle for me when it comes to living right now. I'm checking craigslist every day looking to see if there are new listings, checking every rental company's listings and the housing group on Facebook. I guess I shouldn't worry right now since it is only February and lease signing is usually late March/April. So we will see. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

DIY Queen and the Weekly Reads

Lately, I've been a bit more selfish about things that I like to do. For example, reading and DIY. DIY is things are so fun to do. I h...