Sunday, September 15, 2013

Every child should join 4-H!

Every kid should join 4-H at some point in their childhood years. It's a great way to meet other kids who have the same interests as them, learn more about their interests, and build up their college resume! 

I have loved 4-H since I've joined in 2008. I have learned so much about horses through hippology (study of the horse). I have learned about different bits, parts of the horse, the anatomy of the horse, and types of different jumps. Also, I got to do a lot of community service! We made pumpkin center pieces every year for senior homes, adopted a family in need for Christmas and Thanksgiving, pack backpacks for Operation Military Child, and we made toys for animals in shelters. It's an amazing feeling you someone happy. 

Another thing is that you can show your animals! I showed horses for 3 years; each year a different horse. It's awesome connecting with different riders from different 4-H clubs. You make many great friends, earn points for year end awards, and get amazing advice to help improve yourself when showing. Many groups also host clinics where you can audit (listen and write down notes) or trailer your horse, cow or dog to the clinic to do a more hands on version. I worked with at least six different riding instructors; some at camp and some through 4-H. I am proud to have had the chance to be under their teaching because I have become a better rider ever since I have moved down south.

At a lot of the shows, you can enter your crafts and handiwork into the competitions. I've entered my jewelry that I've made, barn safety posters, community service posters and my photography in multiple shows. I've gotten red and blue ribbons for them because I worked extra hard on them to make sure they came out to perfection. It's a great way to show people how crafty you can be!

Public speaking is a great opportunity to do through 4-H. It helps people come out of their quiet shells and become more outgoing. You can do a demonstration, poster, powerpoint, or speech! You can do what ever appeals to you. I did a few power points on horse breeds mainly. All because I loved researching the history of the breeds and wanting to tell everyone else about them! I've seen kids do card marking and cooking demonstrations. Some even do scenes from broadway musicals! I actually did a demonstration where I sang a medley of Disney songs when I was planning on doing musical theatre for my college major. You can do your public speaking on whatever you want, there aren't any guidelines other than the "no large animals" if you're in a small building with no farm like land around you.

Many teenage members mentor the younger members. It's good to mentor someone in the same area as you rather the be a complete blank in an unknown area. I would use my leadership when we would work on our record books as a group. We give them help and they love it when people other than their parents help them. Mentoring is leadership. You can medal in that as well as community service, horse and arts.

A record book is your book. It's a good resume to send to college as well. Colleges love to see 4-H on your college application. Many colleges have riding teams so it's good to see that you've been riding before. Everyone should get involved with 4-H. It's good for you and your child in life and in education. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

DIY Queen and the Weekly Reads

Lately, I've been a bit more selfish about things that I like to do. For example, reading and DIY. DIY is things are so fun to do. I h...