Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Touring Western


We traveled to Western by ferry, which I loved. I also got to coordinate my schedule with one of my new friends, Julia who was traveling on the same ferry! I met Julia through one of the many Facebook groups I am on. Social media is a great way to connect with other fellow classmates who share interests and sports with you. She and I have a love for Outlander, Disney, dogs, and we are soon-to-be hiking buddies!


We got to the university a bit early for our tour, so we did our own exploring. 


The number one thing I loved about Western was the use of sky bridges and natural energy sources. Sky bridges keep you dry when it is raining and cool when it is hot in the summer. Perfect when you want to stay dry or want air conditioning. 


This building was once not a green energy building. Later in the years, the university added solar panels to make it energy efficient and green. The newer buildings were built with more environmentally friendly materials.


This is the Communications building, home to the Journalism Department. This will be the main building for my Journalism classes. Also, the second floor is the floor for the schools publications. I also learned that once you take some of the journalism classes, you can submit pieces to the publications and get paid for them. I am definitely checking that out!
  

This well lit building is the fitness building/gym. I am probably going to spend the majority of my free time from possible jobs, riding team and school work working out to keep my muscles well conditioned for riding. In order for me to have a personal trainer there, I must have written consent from my doctor that I am healthy enough to workout. Plus, a personal trainer gives me the discipline to go rather than be lazy.




As well as being a learning institution, WWU is also home to one of the top ten outdoor sculpture collections in the nation. This is just one of the many outdoor sculptures. This staircase has great acoustics underneath and is perfect to sit and have lunch with friends.


This court yard represents the San Juan Islands. The red is the deep water, the yellow lines are the currents, the grey are the shallow water and the grass are the islands.


As you can see from the bricks, you can understand why it is called the Red Square. This is where over 200 business, clubs and organizations have booths here. I'll be here checking out the horse club for the riding team with my roommate! Our tour guide said you can pick up enough free pens to last the entire school year!


Found a shuttle with Western on it! I am so excited!






We are now officially Vikings fans. 


This plaque is found in one of the buildings. 










After our tour, we had some lunch in one of the buildings on campus. And look what I found!! Ben & Jerry's! I'll shall be in ice cream heaven.


I found my residence hall!! I couldn't see my official room but I got to see a sample of what it will look like.


Excuse my dad being in the photo, but on this wall we have two wardrobes and a set of drawers. On the top (not shown) are some extra cupboards for storage.


So this room was made into a triple, so picture the third bed gone. The beds in my dorm room will be lofted like this so my roommate and I can push our desks underneath for my space. We are going to have a tv and dvd player on a table in between the beds, and two bean bags for lounging on.


Do I look like an official student yet?


Mom bought me my first official piece of Western wear. Next up, sweatpants and riding team clothes!

Mum and Dad
Before heading home, we stopped by Deception Pass, which had the most stunning views of the water.


Photo of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

DIY Queen and the Weekly Reads

Lately, I've been a bit more selfish about things that I like to do. For example, reading and DIY. DIY is things are so fun to do. I h...