Sunday, August 24, 2014

Traveling With Your Furry Best Friend

Are you taking a vacation and taking Fido with you? Or are you and Fido moving across country? The first thing that comes to mind is what you need to bring in the car or on the plane with you for Fido.

Now, I am moving across country with my parents and MudLynn from Virginia to Washington(state). Here is a list of what I am packing for MudLynn.

The first thing I am bringing is a travel crate. MudLynn's travel crate is from Pet's Mart and it retails for about $72. It is a bit pricy but knowing your pet is safe in the car put the mind at ease. To make it more comfortable for MudLynn, I added two small beds to make a large one as well as a fluffy blanket. She was going to travel like this, but we ended up just folding it up in order to make more room in the back of the car for our bags and such.




Along with MudLynn's crate and beds, I am bringing a towel or blanket. The reason is that it will be there if she has any wet feet that need drying and also to put in the car to catch any dog hair. However, I am mainly using it to protect the bag of the seat that gets folded down from her crate scratching it.

Next, I am bringing a few of her toys so that she has something to play with so she doesn't get bored. I just bought the "Fetch Me, You Will" toy since we had to make a run to Petco. I couldn't resist it!


The second thing I am bringing are her vet records which includes a certificate of health for travel. It is critical to have these with you because you never know if you have to show them as proof to a hotel manager that your dog is vaccinated.


Then, I am also packing any types of medicine she is taking. The current medicines she is taking is just heart guard and flea treatment.

Next, I am bringing MudLynn's leash and harness as well as an extra harness, leashes, and collar. It is good to have extras because you may or may not forget a leash or harness in a hotel room. Along with those, I am bringing her Bags on Board bone with extra bags. Always clean up after your pet!!


As you can see, we have the Harry Barker Canines for Veterans leash and the Up Country Anchors Aweigh harness, plus LOTS of Bags on Board!

Along with her leashes, I am obviously bringing her dog bowls, she has to have something to eat and drink out of.  The big ones are mainly for hotel usage, while the small bowl is for travel when we stop at rest stops. 


Along with her bowls, I will be bringing bags of her day to day food. The bags will be marked with date and meal on them so that they are well organized. Along with the bags, I will be bringing cans of soft food. She loves her dinner to have different textures. 


Plus her food, I will be bringing a variety of treats. This way MudLynn won't get bored with the same treat each time she gets one. Her treats are all from Blue Buffalo. She gets Wilderness Trail Treats Turkey Biscuits Grain-free dog treats, Blue Bones Small Dental Chews Dog Treats, and the Stix Chicken & Brown Rice Natural Soft-Moist Dog Treats. We have placed her food tubs and other items in the Easy Breezy tote in Citrus Medallion from Thirty-One.


As you can see, the brands MudLynn eats are mainly Blue Buffalo, but we added the Harry Barker Canines for Veterans Peanut Butter dog treats because they were within her health regulations (no soy, wheat or flour!!). Plus, we bought them from the Tidewater Collection!

With all her food, MudLynn will need water. I will be packing bottles of water so that she has filtered water when she gets thirsty.

Next, I will be adding her Thunder Shirt to her bag. This shirt is amazing and really does work for when there are thunder storms. This way, if there is one, we have her shirt to put on her so that she doesn't freak out.


After that, we will be bringing her Furminator. This way I can brush her each time we are at the hotel to help decrease her shedding. This brush works wonders for her coats.


Lastly, I am packing a bottle of Nature's Miracle. If Mud ever has an accident, we have something to clean it up with! I swear, this stuff is amazing! It literally lifts the urine or barf off of the carpet. This still really comes in handy, especially if you have a new puppy in your home.
We actually used the Nature's Miracle up before we even left Virginia. She has a tendency to leak a wee bit, so we had to spray her pink bed and wash it at the hotel.

Now, this item is a MUST-HAVE if you have a dog that has a tendency to leak or as leakage of the bum. MudLynn has had at least two little accidents in the car and I knew we had to get her some disposable doggy diapers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

DIY Queen and the Weekly Reads

Lately, I've been a bit more selfish about things that I like to do. For example, reading and DIY. DIY is things are so fun to do. I h...