Tuesday, September 2, 2014

In Love with Outlander

I don't know about you, but I am absolutely in love with Outlander by Diana Gabaldon.

The Horses

Lets start with the horses… You know me, I am a horse lover and equestrian so of course, I'd look at the horses. One thing I have noticed is that they use a couple Friesians in the episodes. I don't mind at all, I love Friesians. I don't have any criticism, but I would have thought they would have used a breed of horse that was somewhat native to the Scottish highlands. I did see some different breeds used, some looked like draft crosses or small Shires. I do believe that Jamie's steed, Donas is portrayed by a Friesian… Not sure yet, waiting for Jamie to mention Donas in a future episode. I do love the name of the horse Claire rides, Brimstone. I don't know why but it sounds lovely.

Another part the horses had was the tack. Oh my gracious, the bridle were just breath taking. The work that was put into them is just incredible. I would love to find one and use it for when I have a horse of my own. Just the detailing on the check is impeccable, it must have taken more than a day to do one side.

I wish I knew who was in charge of the horses because I would be an incredibly happy person if I could be their assistant. I would be in horsey heaven and Outlander heaven. 












The Clothes

It is now my goal to create some of the Outlander pieces so that I may use them. I found a blog online where this woman makes her own recreations of the cowl and mitts that Claire wears in many of the scenes. If you want to check out the blog click here.

 This cowl is just gorgeous, I can't wait to go to Michaels to pick up the rest of my supplies so that I can make my own. The cowl will look good with my Barbour coat for the fall. Maybe once I get the hang of it, I may make more to give as gifts to my friends.

Another item I want to make is her mitts. The look very simple, but I will follow the blogger's directions in order to make them the same way she did. They'll keep my little wrists nice and warm when it gets cold after fall.

Stay tuned for my creations to be posted in future!





Photos are from Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment

DIY Queen and the Weekly Reads

Lately, I've been a bit more selfish about things that I like to do. For example, reading and DIY. DIY is things are so fun to do. I h...